We are so happy to be able to offer a Fall and Winter CSA, this is exciting for us! It is a nice and sunny outside and we are busy here mulching and cleaning the fields for the winter. Hopefully we have a few more days like this so that everything can get done!
In this weeks box:
- Gold Potatoes
- Rutabagas (this root vegetable is delicious in in soups, casseroles, roasted, or mashed with potatoes. They are high in beta carotene and store well up to a month.)
- Red Butterhead lettuce
- Arugula (these are great on a sandwich or added to a salad)
- Napa Cabbage ( a favorite ingredient in Asian cooking. It is good in stir fries, soups, slaw, and of course kim chi.)
- Buttercup Squash (similar to a Butternut in flavor)
- Celeriac (sometimes called "celery root" , they have a strong celery flavor. It is easiest to slice off the top and bottom and then slice off the sides with a knife. They are great in soups and make wonderful stock. Recipe below)
- Paprika Peppers (a small sweet pepper)
The next pick up day will be next Thursday, we will send out an email reminder. Have a great day!
Winter Warmer - Cream of Celeriac Soup with Champagne (borrowed from http://quirkykitchen.
Cream of Celeriac Soup with Champagne(serves four, unless you have a straw and don't tell anyone you've made it, then it serves one)
2 tbsps butter
2 bulbs celeriac, peeled and cut into smallish chunks
3 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
3 cups chicken stock
1 good splash champagne (mine was rather old and flat, leftover)
1 tsp celery salt
1/2 cup single cream
I am not kidding here: simply throw all this, except for the cream, in a stockpot and boil gently for an hour. Then pulverize with a hand blender and add the cream.DIVINE! Where I thought it might be stringy, like celery soup which has to be strained, it was velvety. Where I thought it might taste as boring as it looked (white), it was complex andinteresting. And where I thought it might be simply weird, it was perfect. Comforting, creamy, perfectly smooth.thanks,and I hope you enjoy it!Kristen